Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Hmong People.....





Shifting cultivation is the reason for the Hmong’s semi-migratory way of life. With this technique, farmers clear a piece of land, burn the vegetation, and then plant crops. After several years, they move on to a new field to allow the old fields to reforest. A Hmong person belongs to a family, the family belongs to a clan, and the clan belongs to the Hmong people. A typical day for a Hmong family in Laos begins at about 4:00 in the morning or at the first crow of the family rooster. The oldest daughter and daughter-in-law are usually the first to get up. They cook breakfast, prepare foods for lunch, feed the animals, and clean the house. The husband helps his wife feed the animals and grind corn. After breakfast, the working members of the family will head to their fields. After working together in the fields, the family usually returns home before sunset. On the way, they gather firewood and wild plants and herbs for dinner. At home, there are activities in the evening for everyone. Parents prepare the evening meal, attend to the animals, and make sure there are enough supplies for the next day. The paternal grandparents sit next to the fireplace with their grandchildren and tell stories. Many of these stories concern animism, animals, and the environment; others are about the past, such as when the Hmong lived in the valley of the Yellow River in China. Hmong elders also use stories to explain why things are the way they are, for example, why the tiger has black and yellow stripes or why the bear has black hair.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Are you the artist for all of these illustrations on this Blog? I just want to say, they are beautifully drawn and i'm very excited to find these kinds of things about my Hmong community. Thank you and keep up the good work.

txoua said...

Hello, I am Hmong which lives in France, more exactly in the South of France, I study graphic design in a School of Fine Arts (excuse my English if it is'no
t good).
I discovered your blog by examining of artist Hmong on the internet.
My project of diploma bases itself on the culture of our people and by seeing your work which is really fantastic, I shall wish that we establish a contact! I leave you my email address so that you can answer me if you want it: thotxouasophie@gmail.com

I shall be really satisfied to learn it more on your work.
Goodbye I hope for it.

Thoj Sophie